Why Apply to Makeup School?
Professional makeup artistry is an exciting career, filled with endless opportunities to experiment and let your creative juices flow. Completing our Makeup Program opens countless doors, as the skills you learn will translate across a variety of industries, including television, photography, and advertising. Whether you’re looking to create natural, beautiful looks to help your clients feel amazing for special occasions, or you want to gain experience working on dramatic looks for costumes and special projects; you’ll develop the skills you need to thrive at the HDC.
Why The HDC?
The HDC’s Makeup Program is a part-time course that takes place over 15 weeks. During this time, you will:
- Learn the basics of application techniques
- Learn how to identify the right products for clients based on their skin types
- Develop a variety of advanced and specialty techniques that are used for photography, film, and high definition productions
- Complete a professional, themed photoshoot with a Vogue-published photographer to showcase your work
Beyond the practical skills, you’ll also develop a deep knowledge in:
- Infection control
- Facial anatomy
- Colour theory
- Client consultation
- The business of makeup artistry
This knowledge, combined with your practical skill set, will prepare you for the makeup industry and help you develop into a business-savvy and in demand makeup artist.
Reasons You’ll Love The HDC’s Makeup Program
- We help our students secure employment after graduation by providing industry connections and teaching relationship-building skills.
- Your tuition includes a student license from the Cosmetology Association of Nova Scotia, as well as the fee to write the exam.
- You'll get a professional Makeup Forever Kit with all the makeup and tools you need to start your career.
- You'll start your professional makeup portfolio with two 8"x12" photos featuring your work.
- You’ll make connections with industry leaders all over the country, including those from our parent company, The Salon Resource Group—Atlantic Canada’s top salon group.