Why Apply to Makeup School?
Professional makeup artistry is an exciting career, filled with endless opportunities to experiment and let your creative juices flow. Completing our Makeup Program opens countless doors, as the skills you learn will translate across a variety of industries, including television, photography, and advertising. Whether you’re looking to create natural, beautiful looks to help your clients feel amazing for special occasions, or you want to gain experience working on dramatic looks for costumes and special projects; you’ll develop the skills you need to thrive at the HDC.
Why The HDC?
The HDC’s Makeup Program is a part-time course that takes place over 15 weeks. During this time, you will:
- Learn the basics of application techniques
- Learn how to identify the right products for clients based on their skin types
- Develop a variety of advanced and specialty techniques that are used for photography, film, and high definition productions
- Complete a professional, themed photoshoot with a Vogue-published photographer to showcase your work
Beyond the practical skills, you’ll also develop a deep knowledge in:
- Infection control
- Facial anatomy
- Colour theory
- Client consultation
- The business of makeup artistry
This knowledge, combined with your practical skill set, will prepare you for the makeup industry and help you develop into a business-savvy and in demand makeup artist.
Reasons You’ll Love The HDC’s Makeup Program
- We help our students secure employment after graduation by providing industry connections and teaching relationship-building skills.
- Your tuition includes a student license from the Cosmetology Association of Nova Scotia, as well as the fee to write the exam.
- You'll get a professional Makeup Forever Kit with all the makeup and tools you need to start your career.
- You'll start your professional makeup portfolio with two 8"x12" photos featuring your work.
- You’ll make connections with industry leaders all over the country, including those from our parent company, The Salon Resource Group—Atlantic Canada’s top salon group.
Online Learning With Pivot Point FUSE
Your education is delivered through an innovative online learning environment, Pivot Point FUSE, designed specifically for the beauty industry—the only one of its kind! The Pivot Point FUSE is a ground-breaking integrated social learning environment, built specifically for you and the beauty industry. An incubator for talented future and current beauty professionals, the FUSE combines best-in-class educational content, creativity, and a collaborative environment to enhance personal learning experiences. You have never seen anything like the FUSE before. It’s the ultimate learning environment within the beauty industry. It’s easy to use and contains all the features necessary to capture your attention, inspire creativity, and allow you to share your experiences with your peers. Pivot Point educational content is at the core of your FUSE. The lessons are brought to life through a synergy of communication, collaboration and engaging activities. Plus, there’s a bit of competitiveness, too!
- Show the World Who You Are—Personalize your profile to let others know who you are, what inspires you, and show off all your work.
- Become Part of a Community—You’ll have access to your classmates, and so much more; you’ll be in touch with everyone who is connected to your organization. Network, share and inspire!
- Not Connected? No Problem—Study anytime, anywhere, our downloadable eBooks and study guide don’t need an Internet connection for you to access (once downloaded).
- Organized Learning, Bit by Bit—Lessons have been carefully segmented into smaller sections to provide you with the most pertinent information necessary, when you need it. Whether you’re in the classroom, or somewhere else brushing up on your skills, you can access videos, eBooks, study tools, interactive activities, collaborative peer-driven exercises, and fun, engaging assignments.
- Compete—Like to show off? Well, you can in FUSE! You will get points for almost every action you take. Login, get a point, finish a lesson, get lots of points; the top five in your community are showcased on the leaderboard on the home page for all to see.
- Ready, Set, Test—Okay, so now you’ve completed all your lessons, gained tons of practice on the clinic floor and are almost ready for that licensure test, we’ve got you covered with Exam Ace in FUSE. Exam Ace provides you with lots of tests to get you ready to take your exam. Take ‘em as many times as you want, no need to download apps or go elsewhere!
- iPad—Did we mention that you’ll receive your own iPad with your tuition?